Friday 1 July 2011

Day 6: Llandovery to Hereford

It was very cold in the night to the extent that I put on a T-shirt, fleece and my cycling longs (my thermal emergency cold weather stuff was still in the pannier attached to the bike and it was too cold to think about getting it at two in the morning). I woke up just after four and thought about getting up but it was far too cold. I finally braved it at 5:15. Sorted arse (I found some sterile gauze in my pannier so thought I'd try that under the plaster); managed another glimpse into double mirrors and things seem to be improving! Grass was wet with a heavy dew and it was very misty. Set off at about 6:15. As I entered town it became a pea-souper until I took my misted up specs off; it was then just a mist but sufficient for me to put both front and rear lights on.

I left town on the A483 and turned off on to the unclassified road at Cynghordy. I soon rose above the mist. Stopped at the roadside for breakfast at 7:20. BLT sandwich, brewed a hot chocolate, and finished with a chocolate something or other snack bar. More midges so covered head with my buff; got some strange looks from passing cars.


Continued on this road to Llangammerch Wells. This was a good ride through forests etc. Military training ground too - machine gun firing. I followed signs to Builth Wells without thinking so instead of continuing on the unclassified road I came out onto the A483 again. No matter, probably easier and quicker. Hardly any traffic. Nice run.


At Builth Wells I stopped to decide on my route - whether to follow my planned B4567 or take the A470. Sorted out bum in WC - the gauze was not a good idea. Decided on B4567; clearly not the easiest choice to begin with but got better and a very peaceful ride. It was the NCN 8. At one point the sign for the route pointed to a track on the right. While I was considering this another cycle tourist came the other way along the track. He was heading for Liverpool following the NCN 8 B&B' ing. He said the track was the right way to go and went right through to Hay on Wye. Turned out to be paved and used by some cars for access, looked like it might have been an old railway track. Really pleasant ride. Rejoined roads to Glasbury and cross the river. I left at the NCN 8 and took the B 5340 which seemed more direct.

At Hay on Wye I wandered around looking for food - bought a meat pie from a chippy and a Danish pastry from the bakers. Didn't stay long. Because I'd wandered round a bit, I lost my bearings. View Ranger sorted it. The B4348 undulated a bit then onto the A465 into Hereford. I thought I'd stop at a supermarket then try and get to the campsite without going into the town centre. Found Tesco then headed for the campsite. Nice place very smart and professional; it had a cafe (a token for a pot of tea for two included in the price). Showered then went for the pot of tea.

Cooked an excellent meal (braised lambchop with onions and savoury rice and a couple of glasses of wine)

An excellent days cycling. Feeling a lot fitter the only irritation being the bum.

Distance: 115.17 k

Time: 6: 44: 50

Average: 17.1 k/hr

Max: 55.5/hr

Height asc: 1576 m

Campsite: Lucksall Caravan and Camping Park, Mordiford, Hereford. £8. Excellent facilities, good value.







No comments:

Post a Comment