Sunday 3 July 2011

Day 8: Great Bourton to St Neots

Up at 5 am. and away by 6. A really good night's sleep. Another still day. Blue sky overhead but high clouds to the east and a bank of darker clouds to the west.

Roads were quiet (6 am on Sunday morning what did I expect?). A lovely ride on unclassified roads and the occasional B Road with lots of good looking villages, like Moreton Pinkney and Canons Ashby. I was in a world of my own and missed my turning a couple of times.

Stopped at Maidford for a snack. A bit rubbish -- Go Ahead Crispy Slices, etc -- but it would keep me going until I found somewhere open. Cocked up at Blissworth by turning south; rejoined the route by going north on the A508 at Roade.

As I was entering Bozeat a car started overtaking me very slowly and very close; I saw the road on the left was marked "high-street" so I turned into it, so did the overtaking car! If I had not turned it would have had me off. I don't think the driver even registered what had happened. A sympathetic gesture from another driver.

I found a shop open but no cafe. Ate a Magnum then set off to Odell where I stopped at a bench and had a Lamb Samoza and ham salad sandwich. Looking at the map I realised there was probably no where to buy decent food on a Sunday before the campsite I was aiming at near Bushmead Cross 5 miles before St Neots. Then I saw a campsite on the map right in the centre of St Neots, which I had overlooked when I was planning. I'd head for that.

When I set off again I seemed to have no energy and my bum started to twinge. I stopped after a couple of miles for a Wispa, plaster management and a walk round. I felt much better after that, lots more energy - probably the food from lunch starting to kick in and no pain in bum. I was now steaming along right through to St Neots. I stopped in the town square, coffee at Caffe Nero then Waitrose for breakfast stuff (I had decided to eat out in the evening).

I located the campsite on Google maps on my phone and found my way there. This trip has definitely taught me that a dynamo would be good.

A good campsite, walking distance from the centre and I was led by a man on a bike, with a radio link to reception, to a nice spot under some trees away from everyone else.

After a shower I went into town. I liked St Neots when I arrived in the afternoon but it was a bit dead at six o'clock. Pubs quiet and pub food didn't look very exciting. Plumped for one which advertised food. Had three lamb chops, chips, peas, mushrooms, tomato with a glass of wine. Okay but nothing special. Still nice to sit and read Saturday's Guardian. Wandered back and made myself a mug of Horlicks!

I'd been thinking about the Ginsters peppered steak slice I'd bought at Waitrose for breakfast. Probably not very nice cold so I thought I'd heat it in my Bain Marie while I packed up in the morning.

Distance: 109.55 k

Time: 6: 01: 30

Average: 18.2 k/hr

Max: 5 2 .0k/hr

Height asc: 908 m

Campsite: St Neots camping and caravan site, Hardwick Road, Eynesbury, St Neots. £7 85. Excellent location both in relation to town and the river. Good facilities. Nice secluded pitch. Friendly staff. Surprisingly quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment