Wednesday 6 July 2011

Day 11: Wortham to Holbeach Fen

It'd rained through the night and it was still raining when I got up at 5:10 although it turned out to be a lot lighter than it sounded in the tent. Packed up slowly, made a hot chocolate and had a banana and a Nature's Valley energy bar. Waterproofs on then as I left the campsite the sun came out and the sky was mainly blue. Pleasant going, soon saw sign for Thetford which I knew was the right sort of direction. Bum started to hurt so I stopped to change the plaster and that seemed to do the trick. Arrived at Thetford at about 8:15; it was either "town centre" or "other directions". I chose town centre as that was west. Looked for a food place but no joy so headed west on a road signposted "Newmarket A11" which according to Google maps looked like it was the right way to Mundford. Stopped at Sainsbury's for both road food and evening food as I may well camp somewhere fairly remote. Took the Brandon Road; at Brandon I headed for Methwold where I edged onto my map then followed the B1112 and joined my original route just before Stoke Ferry.


There was a stiff breeze for most of the day. During the early morning it had come from the south but became more westerly. I was generally heading west/north-west so with occasional twists in the road I had a tailwind but mostly not. I crossed the A10 then joined a cycle (single) track which led to a lane took me into Downham Market centre via a bridge over the ring road.

I rode around town looking for somewhere interesting to stop but didn't. Initially left town on my planned route on unclassified roads but soon joined the A1122.

The wind was getting worse and I wanted the most direct route into Wisbech. Left the A1122 at Elm and followed a cycle track into town. I asked a cyclist on a "shopper" which way to the town centre; she pointed and said ‘it's not very big’. I saw the entrance to Norfolk Street, which with the wrought iron sign across it looked like it might be interesting. It wasn't. A bit down at heel. In the absence of any cafes, I was about to go into a Wetherspoon's when I noticed what seemed to be a larger selection of shops further on. Nothing to write home about so in the end didn't bother to stop.

Cocked up exit from Wisbech but phone put me right. The clouds continued piling across the sky; made the Fens very atmospheric. This area was far more interesting than I was expecting.

The wind made it a bit of a drag to the campsite at Holbeach Fen. A quiet site but very exposed in this wind.

Sat at a picnic bench and cooked a chickpea chilli (chickpeas, peas, onions, chilli, tomato puree, oxo) which I ate with vegetable rice and two glasses of red wine. I followed this with a steamed treacle pudding and custard then a hot chocolate. And so to bed.

Distance: 113.82 k

Time: 6: 23: 15

Average: 17.8 k/hr

Max: 44.5 k/hr

Height asc: 668 m




Campsite: Heron cottage camping and caravanning, Holbeach Fen, Spalding. £5. Quiet site with good facilities. Friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment