Friday 8 July 2011

Day 13: Market Rasen to Bardsley

I was up at 4:50 and immediately put a Cornish pasty in the Bain Marie to heat up while I went about my ablutions. I was away just after 6.
To start with it was tough going; I even stopped the bike to check the wheels were spinning freely! I was on a slight incline which I didn't realise. Then that got quite steep. After a few more miles I warmed up and was going well. I left NCN 1 to cut the distance. I rejoined it before the Humber Bridge and used the signs to direct me, though I still needed my phone. I was on the Humber Bridge at 8:15.
I didn't come off the bridge quite where I expected so I made my way via a convoluted series of tracks and slip roads to the B Road to North Ferriby. As might be expected at this time, a fair bit of traffic about.  Over a dual carriageway via an elaborate shared path bridge. Nice views of the bridge against a brooding sky.
Then through Melton, Welton and just before Elloughton saw a sign at a garden centre saying "Walls" and stopped for a snack. I then headed down a gravel track to the estuary. Stopped at Weighton Lock and had a chat with a guy watching marsh harriers through binoculars. He'd lived there all his life. Apparently the canal had never been finished but had been used for the brickworks (taking in coal and taking out bricks).
The gravel track became a single track. I got back onto the road at Yokefleet. It had been very overcast all day. There were rain showers all around, some coming quite close. I could now see one which appeared to be on a collision course.
It poured down at Howden and I looked for shelter but NCN 65 seemed to take me round town but fortunately I found shelter under an archway entrance to a cemetery. I'd got pretty wet by that time.
I squelched my way on the NCN 65 which took me into Selby then let me down by taking me all around the town. Eventually arrived at the town centre, which was quite close to where I entered the town. Bought some fish and chips - the best on the whole trip and the cheapest (£4.28). Hit the spot! Sainsbury's for evening supplies and a butchers for some chops.
There was another downpour and I was dripping wet so I set about finding a campsite. The first one was full up so I had to go on to Bardsley. It turned out to be the same one I'd used last year when returning from my coast-to-coast. A thunderstorm before I arrived there left me drenched. I arrived shortly after five and when setting up my tent there was another thunderstorm; got even wetter. I walked in the rain to the shower block and by the time I'd showered and changed it had stopped. Back to the tent, listened to the radio, read the paper, another thunderstorm. Decided to cook in the tent but only one pan at a time. Braised lamb chops and onions, savoury rice followed by Tirimisu and hot chocolate.
Distance: 140.53 k
Time: 7: 33: 40
Average: 18.5 k/hr
Max: 45.0 k/hr

Height asc: 1185 m
Campsite: Moor Lodge Caravan Park, Blackmoor Lane, Bardsey, Leeds. Didn't make a note of price as notebook was soaked! Really a holiday park with statics but a separate area for tents. Excellent facilities but quite away from tent area (though probably woudn't have noticed if weather was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment