Tuesday 5 July 2011

Day 10: Wortham to Lowestoft to Wortham

Woke at 4:20, after a restless night, with very stiff legs. Put everything in the tent and set off at about 5:10. I decided last night that I would take the A143/A146 all the way to Lowestoft and then meander back via country lanes. The A143 was very quiet initially. A very low sun straight into my eyes; no problems but I kept an eye on my mirror. I started off like a bat out of hell - the freedom of an unloaded bike - but I came to my senses when I realised there was no need to hurry and cafes probably wouldn't be open if I did.


Blue sky when I got up but overcast for a while until the sun came back out as I entered Lowestoft. I had a problem with my bum but not the usual one; bruising this time. The road started to get very busy after I joined the A146. Final run into town was even busier as I was vying with the commuter traffic. Used a wide cycle path for a while. I crossed the bridge over the river and looked for the most easterly point. I hit the beach in an industrial area; tried again further north and this time I could see a bit which stuck out easterly.

Got there at about 8:15; a great circle on the ground marking " Britain's most easterly point". They'd made an effort with the circle but the area was not verysalubrious.

Took a few photos.


I'd cycled 679k from St Justinian to Ness Point, and 1112k altogether.

Back into town looking for a greasy spoon and found the Woodbine Cafe (est. 1895) which proved to be just the ticket (3 sausages, 2 thick slices of bacon, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread, toast and coffee all for £5 40).


By the time I'd finished it was already 9:25. Stopped at Asda for tonight's food and headed out of town on the A12 and A1145 then on to an unclassified road to Mutford and on towards Beccles. The going was easier probably because of a slight tailwind as opposed to a slight headwind. At Beccles at 11:15 found Twyford's cafe where I had an Americano and a rather large chocolate eclair. Cost more than my breakfast but worth it. Beccles was a nice bustling little place.

Stopped at Bungay and read the paper in a shelter. Another nice place but not as busy as Beccles.

From Bungay I had to navigate a gap between maps and again phone came good. Basically transferred from original return from Lowestoft to the original entry into Lowestoft. I deviated from that to get onto the A413 about 3 km from the campsite. This had been a nice trip back. After Bungay mainly small lanes (I was often on NCN 30 which was not marked on my map; seems to be one of those which zigzags all over the place).

Back at the campsite I showered, washed clothes and went across to the shop for tomorrow’s breakfast stuff.

Not much that I wanted so bought a bottle of Lucozade; I still had several energy bars and bananas. And then into the cafe where I had a coffee and strawberries with clotted cream.

Back at the campsite I cooked chickpeas, peas, onions, lamb stock cube, chilli and red wine with a sachet of Indian flavoured rice and washed down with red wine. Bloody marvellous. A brief rain shower then finished meal with muffins and custard.

Forecast for tomorrow was possible rain moving in from the west although from the maps it looked like it might not quite reach East Anglia. My first thoughts were to get as far as Downham Market which would make it a very easy day and give me a chance to get a second wind but I was now wondering about going on a bit further. One problem was that I had a 10k (at least) section with no map. (I'd looked at a Road Atlas in ASDA to get some idea and I also had the phone but it was less useful where there was no route to follow.

Distance: 124.06 k

Time: 5: 55: 19

Average: 20.2 k/hr

Max: 48.0 k/hr

Height asc: 836 m

Campsite: Honeypot Caravan and Camping Park, Wortham, Suffolk. £8.50. Nice site with a pond and plenty of trees. Good facilities. Friendly warden and owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment