Thursday 30 June 2011

Day 5: Newgale to Llandovery

Got up at 4:20, tended to bum, packed and was off by 5:10. Flat for 200 yards then straight on to a hill which took me up to over 100 m. Then it was generally down with a few bumps to Haverfordwest. I made for the A40 which was fairly quiet at this time in the morning although there were a few trucks. It gradually built up and I was mostly overtaken by short convoys headed by a truck. Very noticeable that the trucks were far more considerate than cars. I'd deviated onto the old road where a new bypass had been built and then again through Whitland. Lots of ups and downs on this section. Bum started to hurt so replaced plasters in a layby.

Decided that I'd stop for a decent break at St Clears. Smaller than I was expecting but I found a nice little cafe in the West Wales Centre for the Crafts. Despite having already eaten my cheese sarny (awful), an energy drink (chemical) and three "irresistible" energy bars (which weren’t) I plumped for a "Full Welsh"; excellent. And excellent value at £4.25 including coffee.

My planned route was to take the track along the right-hand side of the A40 and then turn off and follow NCN 4 to Carmarthen but had already decided to continue on the A40 which became a dual carriageway at this point. This would cut both the distance and the climbing (about 5k. and over 180m climbing). This turned out well. To start with there was a cycle track but this deviated away. The road was fairly busy but there was a large gap between the verge and the white line at the edge of the carriageway. Even on the narrowest bits I could still avoid drain covers. I stayed on the A40 and didn't take any of the deviations along adjacent B roads.



I entered Carmarthen via the B4312. Crossing Carmarthen involved a foot/cycle bridge across to the station and then onto the B 4300. Very straightforward, partly because I'd checked it out on street view when planning.




Just before Llanarthne I stopped to take a photo of the oxbows on the River Towy. Two large birds of prey were being hassled by another much smaller bird. Watched it for ages, attempted photos but camera took too long to focus. Saw several more birds of prey along this section of road.


Entered Llandovery with the sun blazing down; it had been overcast for most of the day although it was clear when I set off from Newgale. First stop the supermarket then onto campsite which turned out to be a pretty good one. Mainly static and touring caravans but a special rate for backpackers and cyclists.

Pitched tent, showered then into town for a pint of OBA. Nice pint.

Back to the campsite and cooked kidney beans, peas, onion, chilli and tomatoes, followed by chocolate desert and washed down with beer.

An excellent days cycling, probably the best so far. Wind was behind me although it hadn't reregistered until I turned west once in the campsite.

Distance: 110.34 k

Time: 6: 44: 37

Average: 16.4 k/hr

Max: 54.5/hr

Height asc: 1472 m


Campsite: Erwlon Caravan & Camping Park, Llandovery, £5.50. Good facilities, picnic tables, friendly. Excellent value.



No comments:

Post a Comment