Tuesday 28 June 2011

Day 3: Llangadfan to Aberaeron

Woke at four for a pee and decided to make an unrushed early start. Blue sky, although the sun was behind the mountains. Last night the campsite manager said today would be overcast but no rain. It was quite chilly so put on a fleece and once I'd set off added my Gore-Tex and a skull cap. Hands were cold too. Road started with a few gentle undulations gradually going up to 300 m. A very gentle climb followed by a nice downhill. Bum still hurt but I'd put on two large plaster’s, one on each cheek; not sure if they were helping.

Stopped at a Co-op in Machynleth -- the first reasonably stocked shop so far -- for breakfast stuff. At Furnace I spotted an interesting looking water wheel and stopped to take a photo. There was a bench overlooking the River and despite it not being in the sun I couldn't resist it as my breakfast spot.



Lovely spot but after a while I got a bit chilly so I carried on. A few rolling hills which would normally be of no consequence but I still felt below par and couldn't really understand why. A brief stop at Tal-y-Bont; there was now a hazy sun and it was pretty warm.
A few undulations and then a nasty little hill and I was coasting into Aberystwyth. I stopped close to the centre and looked a chemist. Found some Sudacreme but not in the very small size I wanted so I asked at the counter but that was all they had. I said no matter the way I'd been going I'd probably need a big tub; she said "oh bless"! I also bought some iron tablets -- I was getting a bit paranoid about my low performance. It was about 11, too early for a meal so I went for a coffee. I'd done about 66k. I was going to put sudacreme on in Costas but I thought the scream as I pulled off the plasters might disturb them!



I was about to head down the coast on the A487; it didn't go very high but up-and-down rather a lot. I wasn't sure how far to aim for today. It was still early. I wanted to stop at a place with shops and a pub. Cardigan was another 60k but Aberaeron only 25, this probably made more sense as I really didn't want to overdo it.

At the top of one hill there were roadworks (surface dressing) with a manual go/stop sign; there was a 400 yard queue as I approached but they pulled away just before I got to the back. When I got to the stop/go sign it went to stop but the traffic was queueing just 50 yards ahead and he let me through. The traffic was queueing all the way through the roadworks, at least half a mile -- clearly letting too many through. The queue pulled away and I followed downhill but just a few hundred yards behind. Behind me there was a slow-moving tarmac/chippings vehicle going just a bit slower than me on the slight downhill. I carried on for ages on a completely quiet road on my side. A small convoy caught up with me as I was going up the next hill. I stopped for a sarny and a drink and the tarmac lorry came past with the bulk of the convoy behind it. I set off after the convoy on a quiet road again. Brilliant.

The roads had generally been fairly quiet but occasionally on some of my slow uphills I held up a few. I generally pulled in (if convenient) when they couldn't pass. Almost without exception truck drivers thanked me (and white van drivers) but almost without exception car drivers didn't.
Since Aberystwyth I'd been going much better. The hills were not as steep as I was expecting (some sections perhaps 10% but generally about 7%). Sun was shining but the air was cool and not so humid as last two days. Bum still sore but I found a ‘sweet spot’ and I forgot all about it. I was feeling good.

I saw a signpost for a campsite as soon as I entered Aberaeron but I went into town first to check for pubs and shops. Looked good, so back to the campsite. There were two, the first full of caravans the second a farm with tents and motorvans. Chose the second, nice people; pitched tent a few yards from the beach.


A bit of a breeze which might interfere with cooking but already decided on fish and chips. A guy in a camper van came across for a chat; said that the two birds of prey in the distance were red kites and they'd been flying low above the campsite earlier. Apparently there are some 2000 pairs in Wales now after declining to only two in the 1930s.











Plugged in the phone charger and it worked. Into town for a walk round, stopped at a cafe. Then takeaway fish and chips -- okay but not brilliant -- which I ate on a seat in the harbour. The sun was
now really hot. A pint of Felinfoel in the Royal Oak. Took it outside to some seats on the pavement to watch the world go by. Suddenly the peace was shattered by a road crew who turned up with massive machinery, road rollers and tarmac lorries; then an ambulance went by with blues and twos. So much for a quiet pint but it was fascinating. Then to the supermarket for breakfast stuff and back to the tent




.
Fish and Chips then a quiet drink!









Despite my early tenderness this had been a good day. My lethargy dissipated after Aberystwyth and the early finish gave me time to enjoy a pleasant evening.


Distance: 92.37 k
Time: 5: 21: 01
Average: 17.3 k/hr
Max: 61 .0k/hr
Height asc: 1551 m

Campsite: Drefnewydd Farm, North Road, Aberaeron. £10. Good facilities, good location, friendly.



No comments:

Post a Comment